I have researched and read about Siena for a very long time, thanks to the two books I read by Dario Castagno (spelling). I really was looking forward to learning more and seeing the city that hosts the famous Palio. I was also looking forward to seeing the pride in which the Sienese view their contrada (neighborhoods) and their intense rivalry with the Florentines. I am confident I would have been molte impressed; however, finding PARKING in this city sucked the life right out of both of us. I mean, we must have spent an hour trying to find a decent parking spot where we would not get towed. Frustration set in, but we finally found a spot and began our journey in the 90 degree heat and hungry.
Here's the progress on the vat!
Siena is a wonderful city with a rich history, so we certainly enjoyed our few hours here, but it was NOTHING compared to Florence and the smaller Tuscan towns. Megan did find a street bearing her mother's maiden name: Via della Pellegrini.
We finally made it back to Montalcino, had a glass of wine or two, then decided to go back into the city because we heard from the cute waiter, Allesandro, that there would be a happy hour at 8 pm at Belvedere. As we walked up the hill to town, we ran into Annalisa. She told us that Michael, the Swede, called to say he was on his way back to Montalcino because there just wasn't another town like it. I doubt we've painted a picture of just how much we LOVED the Swedes, but suffice it to say that by this point, we felt like family. So.....
Long story short, they needed a room, but Annalisa's place was full except for the adjoining room that she cannot rent out on its own. Why wouldn't we share with our new friends, the Swedes??? Of course, we convinced Annalisa that we'd be HAPPY to share the space, so she made the wheels turn and lo and behold, the maid got involved, we packed up and switched places with the Belgian couple. Yay for Annalisa and the Swedes!
It didn't take long for the five of us to crack open another bottle of Chianti under the Tuscan sky and the gazebo. The maid was hard at work while we drank...and drank...with the Swedes and Annalisa. HEAVEN.
Of course we went to dinner with the Swedes back at Belevedere with the view. We watched the Euro Cup soccer game when Spain beat Russia, so the place was crazy, but we were in our own little bit of paradisio with another bottle of wine and FREE FOOD at happy hour at 10 pm. What?
The amazing thing about Montalcino specifically and Tuscany in general is that hangovers do not exist. Truly, I probably have 10 glasses of wine a day, and I am NEVER hungover, so..... I think it's high time I move to a country that can give me THAT on a platter with fresh pasta and cheese every single day.
1 comment:
No hangover!!! sounds like my place!!!
Post a Comment