The plan was set at some point in fall 2007: Megan and I were going to Italy for ten days. Then, lo and behold, Megan discovered that she had the following week off work. We decided to extend our stay in Europe, but we didn't want to remain in Italy. (Actually, I'd have been very happy to have journeyed to Venice, but where's the adventure in staying in one country when you're on The Continent???)
We tossed around several ideas -- Switzerland, Ireland, France -- until we arrived upon Scotland. To be honest, I don't even know what turned the coin, but that's our second stop in Europe. We'll stay in the residence halls at the University of Edinburgh our first night in Scotland, then we're off to a charming little bed and breakfast in St. Andrews. I also have a meeting set up with the admissions folk at Edinburgh and St. Andrews University.
I haven't put in nearly as many hours researching Scotland as I have Italy, but there are other things besides the universities that I look forward to seeing in Edinburgh: the castle, the Palace of Hollyroodhouse, Princes Street Gardens, Jenners Dept. Store and Arthur's Seat. I'm also eager to try Irn-Bru, the "sickly orange-colored fizzy drink" said to cure hangovers. If it works, I'll bring back a keg! And finally, although I'm not a scotch drinker, I'll have a wee dram of whiskey before I leave to be sure.
Sunday, June 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment