Sunday, June 22, 2008

Vonnies in Chianti

It is 7pm on a glorious Sunday night here in Florence and my assignment is to write about yesterday's adventure with the company, Accidental Tourist.

We took our first city bus in Florence at about 8:15am to meet up with Vonnie from the company at a little park on the other side of the Arno (I called this the "Aldo" previously, but I was under extreme internet pressure and time constraints so now I am using the river's correct name! 6/24) River. The bus ride took about 5 minutes so we had a good hour on our hands! We stumbled upon a quaint little neighborhood, a magnificent church and a restaurant that Nikki now refers to as "her restaurant," all before 9am!


So we are sitting on a bench in this park, waiting for someone to greet us, and low and behold, Enzo! He is our driver for the day and, turns out, he will also be the cook! To make a long story much shorter, I was the only person signed up for the Walking Tour, and there were six people signed up for the Co0king Class... so I took a Cooking Class!! Now most of you know this about me, but I do NOT cook so this was an experience for me!

Winery One was beautiful and after several sippings and lots of amazing bread drizzled in olive oil and salt, we then moved on to "the castle." This castle was yet another winery, and we had yet another tasting! Then we moved on to Christiana's house, where the cooking lesson was held in the basement.

We made ravioli and tortellini and linguini, from scratch, start to finish. And then, we ate it as part of an amazing meal in this woman's home!

Look at us in our little aprons!

It was Nikki's dream to take a cooking lesson in Italy, and now I too can say that I had this experience in Italy!! The timer is counting down so I am going to wind this down! Hope you all are well!! :)

No comments: