Those who know me understand that patience is a virtue bestowed on others, not me. I deeply, desperately lack the ability to wait. In that vain, waiting for luggage to arrive at baggage claim for me is like fingernails on a chalkboard. The bad part is, I don't seem to be gaining patience as I get older; instead, it's getting worse.
My solution is to pack for this two week trip using only one carry-on suitcase. When I told this to my sister, I think she spit water onto her phone just thinking about the audacity of such an idea. (She's going to Cabo this summer for three or four nights and is worried she won't be able to fit everything into TWO suitcases! Product and shoes, she explains.) Nevertheless, I won't stray from my plan -- one carry-on Delsey Helium Lite 25" suitcase and a little red backpack from REI with hidden pouches for personal items.
I've already purchased three 3 ounce bottles for shampoo, conditioner and laundry detergent. These products along with face lotion, toothpaste, hairspray, hair gel, and body lotion all fit snugly into the airline's mandated quart-sized bag. I bought sunscreen in the stick version, so that, along with my Clinique facial soap and travel size deodorant don't need to be in the quart-sized bag.
The packing list consists of some very basic things. Although I haven't started packing yet, I don't anticipate this list changing very much. I might substitute shorts for pants, etc., but here it is...Two cotton dresses, two colorful tanktops, two pairs of shorts, two pairs of pants and three cotton t-shirts. I'll probably bring four pairs of underwear and two bras as well as three pairs of socks, running shoes, fancy-ish Nine West sandals and flip flops. Then there's one little makeup bag, a swimsuit and an umbrella. That just about does it! Traveling in the summer has its advantages -- all of my clothing can roll up nicely and not take up as much room as, say, a winter coat. So I don't see any problem with fitting this stuff into my suitcase. I'm going to try to find a duffel bag that I can take along with me in case I buy stuff that I could check on the way back.
Since I am a wine snob, there's no doubt I'll buy a few bottles while I'm in Italy, but I will pay the money to have it shipped back home. Same thing with olive oil and honey. If it's liquid and it's more than 3 ounces, it's not going in my luggage!
Wednesday, June 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi Nik, You're right, Krista will have one suitcase just for her make-up and baithing suits! I am so excited for you. I know you have thoughtfully planed out this trip with a lot of research. Great job! Love, Mom
Post a Comment