Friday, June 20, 2008

Reporting live, from Florence!

Hello friends!

We are here at a quaint internet cafe here in Florence, right across the street from the main train station. It is 4pm-ish and I just finished talking with my parents from a sweat-box public phone just down the street... gotta love the warm weather here in Italy in June!

Bed & Bed Peterson

Allow me to give you a quick update on my travels... so lets go back to Tuesday the 18th in Davis, CA. My shuttle was to pick me up between 405am and 420am that morning for my 630am flight (my first of four flights to get me to Rome!). The shuttle, in fact, arrived at 355am and I had to begin what would be 26 hours of travel with WET HAIR!

Fast forward... all four flights were on time, my seat-mates were all interesting and fun (Michael the wine-maker from Salem, Oregon...Kate from Shannon, Ireland... Stacy from Queens, NY) and I was not forced to check my luggage. The only hiccup was that London-Heathrow decided to check EVERYTHING in my main piece of luggage, so my business was unpacked and everywhere in the security area for British Airways. They are in charge, so whatever.

After taking the train and the bus to the hotel, the final piece to that day was that I hadnt purchaed the proper ticket for the bus and the driver was not happy with me... so much so that he flicked my 1 Euro coin off the bus in anger! So I just got off the bus and rolled myself to the hotel, where my special little twin bed was happily waiting for me!

So, after a whirwind 9 hours in Rome yesterday (Vatican, Colosseum, Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps-notes to follow on that) we are now in Florence! It was a 1.5 hour train ride seated next to 16-year old Amanda (who also has a blog on blogspot.com!) and mom from Chicago and we blithered the entire trip. And now we are getting our bearings here for 3 days in Florence.

Quick note about the Spanish Steps-we were walking for what felt like forever in the middle of the Roman afternoon sun, looking for the Trevi Fountain, but were getting incorrect directions and following streets that led to nowhere, only to stumble upon a smallish fountain and some steps. Nikki says, "I am done and I am going to just sit on these steps!" And I said, "Um, I think these are the Spanish Steps," and low and behold we were flopped out on an important Italian landmark... by accident! We did eventually find the Trevi Fountain, along with 5000 other tourists, and decided then that our day of tourism needed to end.
Spanish Steps!

And that is my commentary, for now. More to come! Bye!!

No comments: